i have a thing for old fashioned candy.....especially colorful candy like swirly lollipops, gumballs, and these cute candy buttons. and guess what...i didn't buy these.....i made them!
candy buttons are sooooo simple and addicting to make. i love that you can make them any color scheme you'd like. since it's spring, i thought these pastel color were perfect. i just love how they turned out....and even more how they taste. much better than store bought.
and you don't have to make just dots, you can make little hearts, little eggs, little stars....anything. and don't keep the fun all to yourself....my kiddies love to make them too. of course, their dots weren't as perfect, but still were very tasty!
how to make your own
2 tablespoons meringue powder OR 2 egg whites
6 tablespoons water (if needed)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or lemon juice
1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
ziploc sandwich baggies
artificial flavoring (optional)
1) Cut non-toxic computer paper into 2 3/4" x 10” strips.
2) Whip together confectioners sugar, meringue powder OR egg whites and lemon juice on low speed using a stand mixer for 1 minute. (you may need to add water) continue to whip for 10 minutes on high speed.
3) Divide “icing” into small bowls. Color each bowl different colors. If desired, add different flavorings to each.
4) If icing is too thick, thin out with drops of water, until it is the consistency of sour cream. A drop should hold its shape and slowly smooth out to create smooth button.
5) Pour each color into a sandwich bag and seal. (Placing the open baggie in a small cup and then pouring the icing in, is a great trick to keep things nice and clean). Then cut a VERY small corner off of each bag.
6) Squeeze a drop of icing at a time onto the paper. You can place the strip of paper on top of the template, you
will then see where to place each drop evenly.
7) Place on baking sheets in a cool dry place uncovered to dry overnight.
8) Candy will harden overnight. Store in a zipper bag or
here is a printable template to help you make your buttons line-up straight. the directions are also included.
Good morning to all my little friends. This is a quick morning post because Marshmallow is MEOWING for his food(he gets fed in a polka dotted kitty bowl of course!) and Little Lilly Polka Dot can't find the right color polka dotted hair ribbon to go with her new dress! Let's all be HAPPY about this day because the sun is a big yellow bright polka dot in the sky and the birds are singing in their polka dotted trees!! Your mommy will be so glad if you keep a bright smile on your face all day long!! Don't forget to go play on the website -www.littlelillypolkadot.com
Much LOVE, Wendy ( and Little Lilly Polka Dot and Marshmallow!)
Hi everyone!!! Well Little Lilly Polka Dot is off to school today. She looked so cute in her bright polka dotted sundress, loaded down with a backpack full of school things!! She has some polka dot cupcakes for a snack and her polka dot blanket for her short quiet time nap!! Marshmallow really wanted to go with her but, of course, kitties aren't allowed at school.
I thought I would mention a few of the children's picture books on the New York Time Bestseller List. At #1 is Skippyjon Jones Class Action by Judy Schachner. This is a fun story about a Siamese cat who would rather be his Chihuahua alter ego and is determined to attend obedience school! At #2 is Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin. It's about Pete the cat who wears his school shoes when visiting the library, the lunchroom, the playground, and more while singing his special song!! And coming in at #3 is Press Here by Herve Tullet. This book is a whimsical dance of color and motion at the touch of a finger. I do hope all of you read these wonderful books to your little ones!.
My name is Wendy Reed and I am the creator of Little Lilly Polka Dot and her fun-filled polka dotted world. With this blog, I will give you and your kids the opportunity to watch as Lilly's world is expanded to include more characters and more adventures! There will be illustrated stories as well as guest bloggers who will be writing on all kinds of things having to do with entertaining and teaching your kids. I hope you will encourage your kids to play on the interactive website-www.littlelillypolkadot.com which the kids seem to love! I also welcome comments, stories, ideas etc. about Little Lilly Polka Dot and her adventures. I will post as many as I can so we can all participate in Lilly's polka dotted world!! Love, Wendy